Understanding Prescription Insurance and Nonmedical Switching
This month, we welcome David DeiCicchi, PharmD, CACP for a patient primer on nonmedical switching, an issue that recently affected many patients on anticoagulation. David is a board-certified anticoagulation care provider and is currently the Director of the Anticoagulation Management Service at Atrius Health, a large, multisite ambulatory care organization in Massachusetts.
In this webinar, David discusses:
- The issue of nonmedical switching that recently occurred with apixaban (Eliquis®)
- The different ways insurers and pharmacy benefit managers can influence prescription formularies
- The impact that nonmedical switching has on patients and clinicians
- Strategies for patients to combat nonmedical switching
- Although prescription insurance is essential for patient care, some payer or pharmacy benefit manager practices can be difficult to navigate.
- Understanding your prescription insurance can help you combat nonmedical switching and other practices that can influence prescribing and out-of-pocket costs.
- Be resourceful! There are solutions to nonmedical switching or high drug costs.