Last updated on
We’re thrilled to welcome Dr. Kathryn Lindley, Associate Professor of Medicine at Washington University, for part 2 of a 3-part series on women’s heart health.
In this episode of Patient Pulse, Dr. Lindley discusses the major cardiovascular diseases and cardiac complications that affect pregnant women, including heart attack, blood clots, and heart failure. She also addresses the importance of postpartum care and safe contraception options for women with heart disease.
- Women are having children at older ages, leading to higher rates of cardiac complications
- Counseling on contraception and pregnancy risks should begin early
- Most pregnant patients can do well with the right team
- Postpartum is the highest risk time – postpartum care is important!
- Consider long-acting reversible contraceptives as first-line agents